<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14462747\x26blogName\x3dLIS+950:+Libraries+and+community\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://lis-950.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://lis-950.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d1224404710664714099', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

LIS 950: Libraries and community

The purpose of this seminar is to explore an important topic in library and information studies in depth — in all its intertwined historical, cultural, philosophical, and political aspects — through a graduate reading/discussion seminar. The topic varies each time the course is taught; this time around, we will focus on "libraries and community"

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Intoduction by Barbara

Hello LIS 950 fellows:
I'm a second-year PhD student in SLIS, but moving rather slowly just now through my program since I am also working full-time as Memorial Library's European History librarian. I decided to come into the SLIS PhD program after many years in the field as a practicing librarian and an MA and completed coursework for a PhD in European History, in addition to an MLS received back in the days when we still used typewriters.
The fascination of living through the online revolution as a participant is what kept me in the library field this long and the desire to learn more about, research, and maybe teach what I have experienced as a participant, combined with the inspiration and encouragement I received when I took Wayne Wiegand's seminar in book and reading history as a "special" student, are what drew me into PhD study in SLIS.. I'm a historian and always will be one, but I am really enjoying the broader horizons provided by my SLIS study so far. Our field is really exciting and dynamic!
lI am hoping that this seminar will give me the opportunity to begin work on my first mastery paper. See you soon....Barbara

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home