<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d14462747\x26blogName\x3dLIS+950:+Libraries+and+community\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLUE\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://lis-950.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_US\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://lis-950.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d1224404710664714099', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

LIS 950: Libraries and community

The purpose of this seminar is to explore an important topic in library and information studies in depth — in all its intertwined historical, cultural, philosophical, and political aspects — through a graduate reading/discussion seminar. The topic varies each time the course is taught; this time around, we will focus on "libraries and community"

Monday, August 29, 2005

My Introduction

Hello everyone.

I am a second year PhD student in Library and Information Studies with a minor is Science and Technology Studies. I have a BS in Physics with minors in Library Science and Mathematics from UW-Eau Claire and my MLIS from UW-Milwaukee. My switch from physics to LIS needs some explanation.

In the summer of 1999, sponsored by the American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS), I served as an intern at the National Aeronautical and Space Administration’s Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Library in Greenbelt, Maryland. I applied, thinking that I would work as a physics intern at a National Aeronautical and Space Administration (NASA) center. But reviewer Laureen Summers was surprised and delighted with my particular combination of disciplines—a physics major combined with minors in mathematics and library science. She suggested I work at NASA’s Goddard Space Flight Center (GSFC) Library because NASA had a great mentor in the library who could take advantage of my unique educational background. During this internship I designed and implemented the Engineering Web Channel that brought together all NASA GSFC Engineering Resources together in one place (If anyone wants to see the channel let me know and I will post how to access the Channel). Upon completion of the internship, I discovered a career path that would unite my passion for physics with library science, that of a scientific librarian.

Currently I am conducting research about the information seeking behaviors of astronomers. This research will be used for my first Mastery Demonstration paper that is due in December. I hope to have my second Mastery Demonstration come from the research paper in this class.

I also have a Carnegie-Whitney Award from the American Library Association to create "Children and Young Adults with Muscular Dystrophy: An Annotated Bibliography." Over the summer I presented my preliminary work on the Annotated Bibliography in Cincinnati, OH and Denver, CO.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home